The name of the organisation shall be the Quilters' Guild of Ireland
2. THE AIMS
The Quilters' Guild of Ireland provides education about patchwork, appliqué and quilting to members in Northern Ireland and Ireland as well as internationally.
This non-profit association welcomes all those interested in learning about the art/craft of quilting regardless of national background, creed, gender or age.
The Guild offers education to all members through the following :
- promotion of friendship, understanding and generosity of sharing among all members, looking towards patchwork and quilting as a metaphor for the communal aspects of the art.
- access to regional groups.
- a monthly newsletter.
- workshops and clinics taught by recognised teachers.
- a web site providing updates about activities, nationally as well as internationally.
- participation in exhibitions for all levels of quilters.
- as the group matures, to tackle directly those issues which normally inhibit the increased understanding of differences among members.
4. MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
a) the activities of the group shall be controlled by the Management Committee that shall be drawn from the group membership.
b) the Management Committee shall have the power to co-opt, from the membership, any additional members required.
c) the duties of the Management Committee shall be to devise methods for achieving the Goals of the group and to exercise the general oversight of its activities and to assist in the development and extension of their activities.
d) the Management Committee shall have the power from time to time to make, alter and rescind rules for the internal management of the group and may delegate any of their powers to committees consisting of such members of the body as they may think fit, and the committee so formed shall, in the exercising of the powers so delegated, conform to any regulations that may be imposed on it by the Management Committee.
e) proposed new members, for positions on the Management Committee, must be submitted in writing to the Management Committee for review.
a) the Management Committee shall keep accounts of all the monies belonging to the group and such accounts shall be audited and circulated to the membership annually.
b) a Bank Account shall be opened in the name of the Quilters' Guild of Ireland.
c) all cheques must be signed by no fewer than two of the (whatever number of signatories we have) authorised signatories.
6. MEMBERSHIP OF THE GROUP
- Membership of the group is open to everyone.
- Members shall have the right to make representation to the Management Committee.
7. GENERAL MEETINGS
General Meetings shall be held at least six times a year. The Committee also have the power to convene meetings at any time.
8. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
An AGM shall be held once a year and not less that 60 days notice of the meeting shall be given. Any person desirous of submitting any matter for discussion shall give not less than 30 days notice to the honorary secretary. Those entitled to vote shall be those members of the Quilters' Guild of Ireland present at the meeting.
The Constitution shall be altered only by resolution passed by two-thirds majority of the Management Committee and members attending the AGM. Notice of the proposed amendments to the Constitution must be given, in writing, not less than 60 days before the AGM. By-Laws - Notice of proposed changes to by-laws must be given, in writing, not less than 30 days before an AGM.
a) if on the grounds of expense or otherwise the Management Committee shall decide upon the dissolution of the Quilters' Guild of Ireland, a resolution shall be considered by an Extraordinary General Meeting called with not less than 60 days notice to members for that purpose.
b) the group shall be dissolved only by a majority of two-thirds of the entire membership voting in a postal ballot. This ballot will be sent out by an Advisory Committee.
c) the assets, following satisfaction of all debts and liabilities, shall be distributed at the discretion of the Advisory Committee.
11. ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Advisory Committee shall consist of surviving Founding Members not serving on the current Management Committee.
1. Founder members, as listed, are lifelong members of QGI
2. Founder members reserve the right to confer Honorary Life Membership
3. Founder members are available to the Management Committee for advice and discussion
4. Item No. 6 in the Constitution - “Members shall have the right to make representation to the Management Committee”. This must be done in writing
5. Terms of office for the Management Committee:
The Management Committee shall consist of a minimum of 12 members
25% of the members of the Mgt. Committee shall be from N. Ireland
All Founders shall serve an initial 2 years on Management Committee
2003 – 6 Founders will leave Mgt. Comm. and form Advisory Committee
2004 - 6 more Founders will leave and transfer to Advisory Committee
2005 - Remaining 6 Founders will leave Mgt. Committee
It shall be decided at the Mgt. Committee meeting prior to an AGM which Founders will transfer to the Advisory Committee.
6. A call will be made for a minimum of 3 new members prior to the AGM
7. New members to the Mgt. Committee may be nominated or co-opted from the membership
8. Quorum - a quorum will be 1/3 + 1 of the Management Committee. If there is a drawn vote the Chairman shall have the casting vote